Conduct Stay Interviews
Stay Interviews are a great way to connect with staff. These structured conversations can help leaders touch base with new staff to ensure the onboarding process is a positive experience. They can also be used with long-standing staff to find out what your organization does well. What keeps loyal staff coming back each day? When you know what you are doing well, you can focus on building those strengths.
Find your long-term staff, or the staff who are the true champions of your organization. Ask questions such as:
- What keeps you here?
- What do you love about your job?
- Why have you been so successful here?
- Who has been a positive influence or mentor for you here?
- How do you describe your profession to others?
- What makes our organization special?
- What could we do better?
- What are the key messages we should use when recruiting new staff?
Better yet? Record short videos of these interviews to post on social media, your website, or feature their responses in a staff newsletter.