Connect Residents to Senior LinkAge Line during Medicare Special Enrollment Periods
On December 18, 2018 by Jodi Boyne
Although the annual Medicare open enrollment period ended Dec. 7, special enrollment periods remain for most beneficiaries who live in one of the 66 Minnesota counties that are losing their Cost Plans as of Dec. 31, 2018. Members are reminded to refer residents and families with questions or in need of additional assistance to the Senior Linkage Line.
As of Jan. 1, 2019, Medicare beneficiaries whose Cost Plan ended Dec. 31, 2018 and who did not enroll in a new plan, will return to Original Medicare (Parts A and B only). Returning to Original Medicare could be very costly so these beneficiaries should know that:
- Through Feb. 28 they can enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan and a Part D prescription drug plan; or
- Through March 4 they can purchase a Medigap policy without a health screening.
Choices must be made by the end of the month to be in effect for the first day of the following month.
New in 2019 is the Medicare Advantage Enrollment Period from Jan. 1 to March 31. During this time any Medicare beneficiary who begins 2019 enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan can:
- Switch to a different Medicare Advantage plan that includes Part D;
- Drop their Medicare Advantage plan and return to Original Medicare;
- Enroll in a Part D prescription drug plan.