New Five-Star Reports Available with Staffing Domain Changes
On September 15, 2022 by Julie Apold
New Five-Star Reports that reflect recent changes to the Five-Star Staffing Domain are ready to view in the LeadingAge Minnesota Data Portal. Primary contacts have access to the portal to view these reports.
What are the Key Report Changes?
The staffing rating is now based on six measures:
- Total nurse (RN, LPN/LVN, aide) staffing levels (hours per resident per day) averaged across all days (weekdays and weekends); case-mix adjusted
- RN staffing levels (hours per resident per day) averaged across all days (weekdays and weekends); case-mix adjusted
- Total nurse staffing levels (RN, LPN/LVN, aide) averaged across all weekend days; case-mix adjusted
- Total nurse turnover (percentage of nursing staff that left the nursing home over 12 months)
- RN turnover (percentage of RN staff that left the nursing home over 12 months)
- Administrator turnover (number of administrators who left the nursing home over 12 months)
There are changes to the calculation of the overall quality star rating. Only nursing homes with a five-star staffing rating will get an increase in their overall quality star rating due to their performance on the staffing measures. Previously, nursing homes obtaining a four- or five-star staffing rating received an additional star in their overall quality star rating.
Reading the Staffing Domain Section
The staffing section of the Five-Star Report looks more like the Quality Measure section. Each measure falls within a cut point and earns points. The points are totaled, which falls within a threshold for staffing star assignments.
The detailed technical specifications for these changes can be found in a July 2022 revision to the Nursing Home Five Star Rating System Technical Users' Guide. The details of the Five-Star Staffing Domain changes begin on page six, new scoring rules for the staffing measures start on page 14, and changes to the calculation of the overall nursing home star rating are included on page 22.
Contact Jeff Bostic, Director of Data and Financial Policy, if you have issues accessing the Five-Star reports through the data portal.