Representation Matters: Feature Team Members in Publications
On August 28, 2019 by Jenna Kellerman
There are two things that make your organization special - the people you serve and the staff who serve your people. Make sure to share the great work that is being done every single day!
Featuring staff in various publications and platforms can promote the important work in your organization and can help staff get to know one another, establishing powerful relationships. Utilize publications such as a staff or community newsletter, a blog, your organization’s website or other social media platforms such as LinkedIn, Facebook, or Instagram. Some special stories may call for a press release or media pitch.
Consider asking a mix of professional and personal questions to facilitate connections between staff:
- How long have you worked at this organization?
- What do you enjoy about working in this profession?
- What does your best day look like?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- Tell me about your family.
- What is your favorite food?
- What is your favorite song, book, or movie?
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- What inspires you?
Featuring staff on your website can also give job seekers a clear view of who works in your organization, as job seekers often read staff reviews online prior to applying to an organization.
Representation matters! A diverse profile of team members on your website can assist in making a personal connection for those reviewing your organization for potential jobs.