Must Issue Certificate of Rent Paid by Jan. 31

All rental property owners, managers or operators must provide a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) to each person who rented from them during the previous year by Jan. 31 if either of the following are true:

  • Property tax was payable in 2021 on the property OR
  • The property is tax-exempt but made payments in lieu of property taxes.

Landlords, including care centers, assisted living settings, and various types of senior housing that pay property taxes or make payments in lieu of property tax, must issue the CRP to enable their renters to apply for the Renter’s Refund.

People who live in senior housing, nursing homes, assisted living, or similar tax-exempt settings and do not make payments in lieu of taxes are not eligible for the refund.

Additionally, a CRP is not to be issued if a resident’s entire care is paid under any of these assistance programs:

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)
  • Medical Assistance (MA or Medicaid)
  • General Assistance Medical Care (GAMC)
  • Housing Support (formerly GRH)

If assistance programs pay only part (or none) of a resident’s care, a CRP must be issued.

A new form is available for 2021 rent paid. See Landlord Instructions for Form CRP for additional information.

Back to news home »

Next JOIN US: Virtual Advocacy Day at the Capitol on April 5

Previous DHS Implementing Changes to Preadmission Screening Process


No one has commented on this article yet. Please post a comment below.

Add a comment

Members must sign in to comment

You must be a member to comment on this article. If you are already a member, please log in. Not a member? Learn how to join »

Log In